Monday, January 3, 2011

Ash's birthday cake

Asher is turning 3 (THREE!!!!) on Thursday. Yesterday we celebrated with the grandparents. My mother-in-law gave me a cake pan shaped like train cars. It was super cute, but intricate to the point that I was pretty sure the final product, after I got done "decorating" it, would be a hot mess. Cake decorating is another one of those skills that I would like to have, that I imagine I could do if I just applied myself, but which I have made no effort to actually learn. Unless you count watching those cake decorating competitions on Food Network, in which case I've studied extensively.

Anyhoo, the finished product was NOT a hot mess after all. It turned out quite cute, actually, if I do say so myself:







 Martha Stewart might scoff, but for a first try, I was pretty pleased. So was Ash. Thanks to my mom for keeping Ash distracted so I could decorate it without him seeing it.

If you want to make it yourself, the cake pan I used is available here. (Don't look at the pics that other people posted - they look much better than mine.)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome cake! Love the middle photo too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY, Lindsay! Asher loved it, I'm sure. Ready for another go-round on the 14th? ;)

    ReplyDelete