Sunday, May 8, 2011

Grab a beer...

Happy mother's day, y'all! I love being a mom, and one of the reasons I love it is because I've made so many wonderful, funny, caring, real friends through my moms groups. My life is enriched 1000x over by these people. Love you guys!!

Ok, smushiness done, it's time for...



grab a beer button



(1) I learned something new about myself this week, which is that much like some people (like me) treat their birthdays as week-long affairs, I apparently feel that mother's day actually lasts the whole week leading up to Sunday. All week I was flooded with thoughts like, "I shouldn't have to empty the dishwasher, it's mother's day" (on Monday) or "I shouldn't have to pick up dog poop, it's mother's day" (on Wednesday). I know this isn't realistic or reasonable, but I'm definitely going to try  to enforce this next year.

(2) I did my cookbook challenge again this week, this time selecting

I never liked Ina Garten when I tried to watch her show, but her recipes are amazing. I've  only made one recipe out of this book before (spinach gratin, which is a holiday staple in my house). Now I wish I'd been using this cookbook all along. Everything I made this week was scrumpulescent! We had:
(a) Caesar salad. Boring, you say? Not at all. This one had homemade dressing, 
pancetta (yum!), and roasted cherry tomatoes. 
I am now a roasted cherry tomato devotee. 
Olive oil, salt & pepper, roast at 400 for 15-20 minutes = gourmet.
(b) Pesto peas. They were supposed to be put into pasta salad, but I had them over 
leftover brown rice because I needed to eat it up.
Yummo!! Shown here with curry chicken salad not from Ina (from epicurious.com, here).
When the weather gets hot like it did this week, we love eating a variety of salads for dinner.

(c) Chinese chicken salad (sensing a theme here?) with asparagus and red peppers. 
Hubby thought it could use a little heat, but it was delicious nonetheless.

(d) Shrimp salad (no pic)

Everything was awesome! This cookbook stays on the shelf for sure.

(3) Had my 28 week doctor prenatal appointment. At this appointment last pregnancy I had gained 11 pounds in 4 weeks, so I was a little apprehensive. The damage was 7 pounds this time. I guess it's all about perspective, because I was actually happy with that number. Then we did our hospital tour on Friday, since we'll be delivering at a different hospital than the one we used last time. The layout of this hospital makes it unlikely baby2 will be born in a bathroom. The car is still a real possibility.

(4) Of course there were mother's day festivities to be had: mani/pedi, afternoon tea with Jake's grandmother, brunch this morning. Hubby got me exactly what I wanted: he reloaded my starbucks card. What a great man!

Next week we're taking Asher on a little trip, a last hoorah before the baby is born. It'll be a good chance to play with my camera and new flash and lenses. Lots of pics next time.

Peace out.

3 comments:

  1. Shit. Now I'm hungry again.

    Thanks for playing along.....cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dinners this week. Just what I needed to detox from my Omaha trip. All relatively caveman-friendly also, which is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to eat now too! I love your idea of eating out of one cookbook a week. I have tons and use maybe 2 on a regular basis! :)

    ReplyDelete