Monday, February 21, 2011

Me day!

I hadn't planned on it, but somehow today turned into a total ME day. The hubby took the wee one to gymnastics and the park so I could clean the house (something I actually wanted to do) and work. I got a 90 minute massage (my first - turns out it really is at least 50% better than a 60 minute). I got things checked off my to-do list. I went to yoga. I contemplated going to weightlifting before yoga, but I decided to squeeze in some banana bread making instead (banana-pumpkin-coconut-walnut, to be precise), so I only managed 15 minutes of cardio before yoga. Now I am blogging and eating enough bread and real butter (the only kind worth eating) to negate the cardio, and I couldn't be happier.

I know some people, moms especially, feel guilty about taking me time. I rarely feel guilty about it. Or rather, I feel guilty when I think about work or housework I could be doing instead, but I never feel guilty about taking time for myself instead of parenting. Maybe it's because I do a LOT of parenting, compared to me time, while I regularly neglect the other stuff. Or maybe it's because the wee one is the main reason I need me time in the first place. It helps that my hubby is very supportive of me time, perhaps because it keeps the crazy at bay (temporarily), or perhaps just because he is a lovely person. Either way, I appreciate it immensely. You rock, honey!

Seriously, I feel fantastic right now, which is a miracle considering that just 12 hours ago I was ready to strangle someone (if only someone would deliver my girl scout cookies...). So friends, I urge you to take some me time for yourselves this week. Do something - ANYTHING - to keep your own crazy at bay. It's extremely important. Trust me, I'm a psychologist.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm....i feel like you MAY be referring to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem-- you deserve your "me" time. Also, anything to keep the keep the crazy locked in the box.

    ReplyDelete