Monday, April 4, 2011

The terrible threes

Subtitled: The post in which I jinx the hell out of myself

The twos were really not terrible in our house, so I was mentally prepared (if ever one can be) for the threes to suck. And as predicted by many of my friends who have already gone through the threes with their kids, on the day of his third birthday, the wee one became the wee terrorist. I blogged about it here. For the next month, I was pulling my hair out; and then, it just...stopped. 

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but for the last two months, he has been the loveliest, most affectionate, most entertaining little kid. I think in the last month we've done one time out. Yesterday he asked me, "Mommy, why are you the best Mommy ever?" (I'm not.) Today he looked lovingly up at me as we ate lunch at Costco (parenting win!) and said, "Mommy, I love spending time with you." And then later he said, "Mommy, I like you so much." Huh?

Is it possible, just possible, that that one month was our "terrible" phase? Or, is he luring me into a trap, which he will spring in the middle of July when his little brother arrives? If you love me, or even like me just a little, you'll send good mojo for the former.

4 comments:

  1. I will say, yes! It is totally possible that a few weeks of terrible was it and now you will have a lovely, fun, considerate three year old. But watch out for the FUC*ing Fours.

    best,

    elena

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 1/2 - 8 is great, not sure if that means I'm in for it when they hit 12. But, I'm enjoying this parenting honeymoon phase. Hope yours lasts a long time too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fucking fours are awful in this house.

    Kindergarden. That's a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you! hope it continues

    ReplyDelete