Thursday, April 14, 2011

Updates

Update #1: Cookbook challenge

For April and May, I set myself the challenge of using my cookbooks in order to expand my cooking repertoire. A secondary goal is to use all the food in my fridge every week to reduce food waste. The first choice:

Pillsbury: The Best of Classic Cookbooks

So how did I do?

Resolution fail. Well, maybe that's a little harsh. Resolution C-. I made three different meals out of the cookbook (a stir fry, a hungarian beef, and a ratatouille). They were all acceptable but not amazing. Nothing I'd want to make again necessarily. I was thwarted several times by not checking the freshness of the ingredients of my fridge before dinner time. I took pics but am not enthusiastic enough about the food to post them. Here's one to prove that I did it:
You have failed me, Pillsbury. I'm debating whether to give you one more try or banish you to Goodwill.

I'll pick a new cookbook to start with on Monday. I have to worry about hubby's birthday weekend first (it's a big one).

Update #2: Sleep training

We get an A here! Little man is so good at going to bed now, only occasionally being annoying when we let him get overtired. He still wakes up once per night, but I can deal. We do let him come into our bed after 6 a.m., and my next project has GOT to be to figure out how to keep his hand out of my damn shirt. Seriously, this kid is OBSESSED with trying to put his hand down my shirt. It's a comfort thing for him. He does it CONSTANTLY when he is in that just-waking-up-but-still-mostly-asleep stage. It makes me want to do something evil to him. I know one answer is to just not let him in my bed, but it buys me an extra hour of sleep in the morning. It's starting not to be a good trade-off, though...

Update #3: Where I've been

I totally failed at participating in Kim's Grab a Beer challenge. I have a decent excuse: I was traveling to Michigan to see my fam, including meeting my sweet new nephew. This gave me a great excuse to play with my camera.

Ash was sooooo super sweet with his cousins. He especially loved helping take care of the baby. It made me feel super optimistic about when his baby brother arrives.

Don't mess with this baby
They're kissing cousins. I'm sure they'll love this pic in ten years.
Sitting in the recliner, watching National Geographic. Just like Grandpa.
Aww.   

I also got to see beloved old friends.
Omg, we are all old enough to have kids. My baby sister has TWO. We got ready for eighth grade dance in this living room.

It was such a great visit! But now I'm homebound, as I enter the third trimester next week, so no more flying. Next time I get on an airplane, I'll be lugging TWO kids. Crazy!!





2 comments:

  1. There is always this Sunday....or the next....

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, that's a great last pic. i mean, my baby's the best but the other kids are nice too.

    ReplyDelete