Friday, March 18, 2011

New project: Playroom makeover, part 1

I'm still here!

So because I can't commit to any one thing for long, I've gotten away from the gardening and have started making over the playroom. (I'm fairness, my seedlings are growing, and I'm waiting for my veggie garden class on 4/2 before finishing the garden makeover. But also, I have a severe case of project ADD.) The playroom before was fine, but once new baby comes, we need it to double as a guest room for when my parents visit. The twin-sized futon we had in there before was not going to cut it. My parents aren't that into snuggling.

So here's what we're starting with: An awesome queen-sized futon with super nice mattress that we scored off craigslist for $80, plus the free table next to it courtesy of grandpa:

Ignore the mess. We're mid-makeover, remember.
 The futon is in great shape, but the cover doesn't scream "fun kid's room!!!"

Hi, I'm neutral.
Also, a pile of throw pillows from apartments past:


The motif of the room is going to be based off the circle lights I hung (gotta love a house with no recessed lighting at all...), plus the red ceiling that was there when we moved in:


On a side note, that red ceiling apparently used to extend into other parts of the house. Yet every wall was beige. Like the most boring non-offensive-non-interesting-bore-you-to-tears beige. Weird, right? The playroom is also beige, but I don't have the time or inclination to repaint right now. A different time.

Anywho, so bright colors and circles are our themes. To that end, we ordered a bright blue futon cover, and I started sewing new pillow covers for the throw pillows (all of which are just pillow forms I covered previously). Here is my first product (and a teaser of the new futon cover):






Can I just tell you how much I love it?!?! And it was so easy. Errr, rather, it would have been easy, except I always make projects ten times harder than they have to be by making dumb mistakes. I'm not really a good sewer (as in one who sews, not as in the place where rain runoff goes), but I fake it. Hence the name of the blog, right? But the next one will be super easy. I'll post a tutorial in a different post (or if the suspense is killing you, just google "ruffle pillow tutorial").

Hopefully I'll get this done before I get distracted again. Although we did have the contractor out to give us a quote on starting the front yard makeover today, so chances of distraction are high to very high...

No comments:

Post a Comment