Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Faking it: Parenting edition: Sleep training

** Let me just preface this post by saying that I really really don't want sleep advice. I have read many books and gotten about as much advice as I can handle from "veteran moms." I am very sensitive about this issue. I am putting this out there for moral support, both to get some myself and to give some to any other parents going through this. **


Ever since Ash was born, we have been trying to figure out how to get him to sleep. He is not by nature a good sleeper; or rather, he is not good at sleeping on his own. If he had his way, he would sleep in our bed with him and I tucked into one big sleep sack together. We have tried many different approaches, ranging from accommodating him to brief attempts at letting him cry it out (it's not my style, and I could never really do it), and many things in between. For years we ended up doing a family bed, which worked just fine for all of us, until it didn't work for me any more AT ALL. That was about a year ago. Since then, when we moved him into his own room, he has gone through periods of sleeping just fine and periods of waking up every two hours, the latter corresponding to periods of extreme grumpiness for Mommy.

We have been in one of those latter periods lately, and I can't take it any more. Last night, after sitting up with him from 2:15 to 4:15, I kind of lost my mind and decided right then and there that we were going to supernanny him. For those of you not familiar with Supernanny Jo, that basically means just taking him back to his room over and over until he passes out from exhaustion. Ideally, you only need to do that for a few nights before the kid figures it out on his own. Well, when you start it at 4:15 a.m. with no discussion beforehand, it makes for a long night. Picture two hours of total meltdown, followed by one hour of sleep. But then he was TOTALLY LOVELY today. The picture of sweetness. This bolstered my resolve, as obviously the trauma of the previous night had no lasting effects on his psyche.

So today we enthusiastically talked up our new plan where he goes to sleep by himself, without Mommy or Daddy in bed with him or sitting on the floor or in the rocker or whatever tomfoolery. We promised to check on him regularly, and he seemed highly ok with this plan. And he was...until after 10 minutes of laying in bed by himself, at which point he decided that this plan was not for him (even though I checked on him after 5 minutes as promised). Cue the beginning of supernanny time.

From 9:18 to 9:42, I put him back in bed approximately 20 times. All the while he's crying and trying all manner of emotional warfare with me (begging me to make him feel better, mostly). I live blogged the next 20 minutes for you:
  • 9:42 - Put Ash back in bed, crying
  • 9:43 - Put Ash back in bed, crying
  • 9:44 - Put Ash back in bed, crying
  • 9:45 - Put Ash back in bed, crying          
    • Put Ash back in bed again, crying
  • 9:46 - Put Ash back in bed, crying
  • 9:47 - Put Ash back in bed, crying
  • 9:48 - Put Ash back in bed, crying
  • 9:49 - Put Ash back in bed, no longer crying - PROGRESS!
  • 9:50 to 10:01 - continuous cycle of me putting him in bed, him uncovering himself before I even get out of the room, me making it the eight steps down the hall to my room, turning around and putting him right back in bed. He's not really protesting anymore, even yawning sometimes. He did make one desperate last-ditch effort by asking for a snack, which I ignored. More progress?
  • 10: 02 - By now my legs are tired, and he is clearly playing a game of how many times can he see Mommy (he's in a big Mommy phase right now), so I send in reinforcements: Daddy. He regresses back to crying, but Mommy needs to sit for a minute.
  • 10:03 - Daddy promises that Mommy will check on him in 5 minutes if he'll stay in bed
  • 10:08 - He stayed in bed!! And I checked on him as promised. He was 90% asleep but still asked me to check on him in two minutes.
Now it's 10:25, and SILENCE. Nothing. Nada. Zip.
Like an angel
 So we went from two hours of meltdown last night to 40 minutes of crying and 20 minutes of tear-free protest tonight. That seems like a step in the right direction, no? I'm trying not to get too optimistic, but maybe tomorrow we can get down to 30 minutes of shenanigans. I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck lindsay! He looks so sweet in his picture, I think you are making it all up. :)

    (This is julie, btw. I'm on mike's computer.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job and good luck, the payoff is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete