Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sleep training update

Not to get overconfident, but sleep training is a WIN so far!!

Last night, the wee one woke up at 3 a.m. (typical), so I went and tucked him back in and promised I'd check back in five minutes, and he said ok. You guys, you do not understand how huge this is. No tears, no begging me to stay in his room, nothing. He just laid down quietly and was back asleep in ten minutes. I could have cried tears of joy.

Then tonight, we only did 40 minutes of the back-and-forth game, and with no help from Daddy, who is playing poker (better bring me some money, honey!). The tears were also minimal and seemed largely forced for dramatic effect frankly. After 40 minutes, he was clearly fighting the sleep, so I just asked him to please stay in bed, and he did. Again, tears of joy.

I'm not getting cocky, because I know my kid, and we could very well establish a pattern where we do the back-and-forth game for 20 minutes every single night, but I'll jump off that bridge later. This is such a major victory for us. Hooray!!

3 comments:

  1. So glad things are working out. We went through this with both of our girls (and will probably do the same with the boy). But, now both girls sleep in their own beds, go to sleep easily, and it is awesome! I loved the "family bed", but when things need to change, they need to change!

    ReplyDelete